QUILTED by CAPITAL QUILTERS
Hutt Exhibition Centre, Lower Hutt, 11-12 August 2018
President’s Challenge - A Capital Day (maximum size 1m x 1m)
Churn It Up Challenge (maximum 2.4m square)
Small Bed Quilt made by one person (under 1.6m wide)
Large Bed Quilt made by one person (over 1.6m wide, maximum 2.4m square)
Group Quilt made by 2 or more people (maximum 2.4m square)
Wall Quilt made by one person (maximum size 1.5m x 1.5m)
Textile Art piece (maximum 1m x 1m x1m)
Conditions of Entry
This year there will be an online entry form available for members. We will also have options available to those who cannot enter online. By May we will have some helpful directions available to you to assist in entering your quilt in this exhibition. The information that is entered into the online entry form will be used for labeling your quilt for display so it is essential that the information is entered correctly.
- Entry is only open to financial members of Capital Quilters as at 28 July 2018. Only financial members of Capital Quilters are eligible for prizes.
- All entries must have been completed since January 2016.
- Quilts must have
○ 10cm deep hanging sleeve attached to the back (top).
○ Label on the lower back (RHS when viewed from back) with the quilter’s name and quilt title with a piece of fabric pinned over the top of the label to cover label during judging.
○ A named bag.
○ Hanging rod labelled with name of quilt and quilter.
- The exhibition committee and judges reserve the right to change the category in which any item is entered if it is deemed necessary.
- Insurance is the responsibility of the quilt owner.
- Every submitter is to rank their entries in order of preference for hanging. If exhibition space is limited lower ranked items may not be hung (last resort only).
- President’s Challenge - A Capital Day - Make a fabric item that reflects the theme ‘A Capital Day’. The item can be 3D but must be able to be hung for display. It can be made by more than one person. All makers must be named on the entry form. You can create an original design or use a pattern designed by someone else. If the design is not original, you must acknowledge the designer on the entry form. Quilting can be done by hand or machine.
- Churn It Up Challenge - You must make a quilt (ie three layers secured by stitching) which features a pieced Churn Dash block. The quilt can be 3D but must be able to be hung for display. It can be made by more than one person. All makers must be named on the entry form. You can create an original design or use a pattern designed by someone else. If the design is not original, you must acknowledge the designer on the entry form. Quilting can be done by hand or machine.
- Group quilt is a quilt made by two or more people. This category includes any quilts which have been commercially quilted, quilted by someone other than the maker, quilts made by more than one person or group quilts like Block of the Month.
- Textile Art piece can be any item made with fabric, for example decoupage, bags and dolls.
- Quilt Design. You will be asked to reference your quilt design. It can be an original design, from a pattern or kitset or Block of the Month or inspired by a photo or quilt. It is important that you correctly answer this question.
- Quilt story. You will be asked to supply a brief explanation (maximum of 75 words) of your inspiration for the quilt and any other interesting details e.g. who it was made for. We suggest you have this in a document ready to paste into your online entry.
- There will be an option to select for display only - this means that you do not wish to have your item judged, and it will not be eligible to win any prizes.
- Delivery of quilts. Entries to be delivered to July Guild Meeting at Waterloo School Hall, Lower Hutt on Saturday 28 July 2018 between 1pm to 4pm.
- All quilts for sale at the exhibition will incur 10% commission when sold which will be paid to Capital Quilters. NOTE: The price stated will include the commission.
If you have any questions, please contact ;
Anne Read or Helen Malanchak